Friday, October 20, 2006

Some Classic Alice-ism s

From " Alice In Wonderland "

"I mean, what is an un-birthday present?"
"A present given when it isn't your birthday, of course."
Alice considered a little. "I like birthday presents best," she said at last.
"You don't know what you're talking about!" cried Humpty Dumpty. "How many days are there in a year?"
"Three hundred and sixty-five," said Alice.
"And how many birthdays have you?"
"One."

………………………………………………………………………………………………

Chapter seven , A Mad Tea Party

“Then you should say what you nean ,” the March Hare went on .

“I do”, Alice hastily replied ; “at least I mean what I say – that’s the same thing,you know.”

“Not the same thing a bit!” said the Hatter. “Why, you might just as well say that ‘ I see what I eat’ is the same as ‘I eat what I see’!”

“You might just as well say,” added the March Hare, “that ‘I like what I get’ is the same as ‘I get what I like’!”

…………………………………………………………………………………………….

Lewis Carroll’s real name was Charles Lutwidge Dodgson .

He created the word “chortle” a combination of "snort" and "chuckle" . His poem Jabberwocky is brilliantly crazy …

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

Another of his words "uffish" according to Lewis Carroll , suggests "a state of mind when the voice is gruffish, the manner roughish and the temper huffish" .

…………………………………………………………………………………………..

A friend of mine likes to invent words ….like bascalla ….. she sure should read Carrolls works .

…………………………………………………………………………………………….

Obviously , this creative guy was not behind when it came to making mean digs …check out the Parody of the nursery rhyme ..It’s the Mad Hatters Song ,

Twinkle, twinkle, little bat!
How I wonder what you're at!
Up above the world you fly,
Like a tea-tray in the sky.
Twinkle, twinkle

………………………………………………………………………………………………

Why is a childrens book so philosophical ? Or is meant to be reread ….gleaning more meanings as one matures ????

No comments: